As part of the Family Honour Project, Reclaim Honour is an engagement and awareness project funded by Status of Women Canada that works to promote honour and prevent violence against girls and women through the support of the community. What is Reclaim Honour? Reclaim Honour is a community engagement project shaped by young Muslim women and men to promote healthy dialogue, awareness and collaborative action on gender-based violence. Our Mission We work to promote honour and prevent violence against girls and women through the support of the community. Our Approach Reclaim Honour takes a youth participatory action approach to raise awareness and prevent gender-based violence. This approach is strength-based and rooted in community engagement. What does that mean?
- Youth take the lead.This means this project is designed and implemented by youth. We draw upon their knowledge, creativity and skills while investing in their leadership.
- We create safe spaces to have “difficult” conversations. This means we hold safe spaces for sensitive conversations to be had, with a focus on identifying and challenging problematic thinking.
- We find strength in our communities. This means we view our communities as capable, skilled, knowledgeable and filled with potential. We capitalize on community strengths to address existing challenges.
- We work with multiple stakeholders.This means we bring together leaders and service providers from many sectors that all have the passion and capacity for positive social change.
- Prevention before intervention. This means we believe that violence is constructed and thus can be prevented.
Our Activities What do we do?
- Workshops that engage young Muslim women and men, including creative arts-based strategies to help us enrich our understanding of gender-based violence
- Provoke constructive dialogue within the Muslim communities and the larger London community through facilitated community conversations
- Raise awareness and promote a critical shift of ideology and discourse around notions of ‘honour’ and ‘honour-related’ violence through our campaigns
- Collaborate with other institutions and organizations with similar mandates to share and learn best practices surrounding community engagement
- Host workshops for service providers with the hopes of better equipping them with the resources needed to serve victims of gender-based and ‘honour-related’ violence
For more information, please visit www.reclaimhonour.com This project has been funded through Status of Women Canada’s Women’s Program.
Additional funding for this project from: Westminster College Foundation contributed of $15,000 to Reclaim Honour. With this funding, we will further engage young men as partners and allies within the project. These young male leaders will work to support and achieve the Reclaim Honour mission—to promote honour and prevent violence. Reclaim Honour received $1,000 through the United Way’s London Life Youth United grant to deliver a series of art-based workshops within the community. These workshops will create safe spaces for young Muslim women to express their perspectives on “honour-related” violence through different artistic mediums such as spoken word, collage and poetry. The Canadian Council of Refugees’ Youth Network financially supported Reclaim Honour with a contribution of $1,000. With the SpeakUp! grant, the Reclaim Honour team will be collaborating with artists to deliver spoken word workshops. These workshops serve as an opportunity for young Muslim women to express themselves poetically.